Dental hygiene not only ensures healthy teeth and a beautiful smile but also goes a long way in protecting your overall health. Good oral health can prevent or reduce the risk of health problems such as heart disease and also helps ensure proper nutrition as well. Use the following tips on the proper way to brush your teeth to promote healthy teeth and gums!
Proper Brushing Technique
- Holding the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums, gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes. The stroke should be as wide as the tooth you are brushing at the moment.
- Be sure to brush all of the surfaces of your teeth, including the inside, outside, and chewing surface.
- Brush your tongue to help remove food bits and bacteria and to promote fresh breath.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing twice daily for two minutes each time. After eating a sugary or sticky food, brushing again can help remove particles that attract bacteria and promote dental decay and cavities.
Toothbrushes & Toothpaste
- You should always use a soft bristled toothbrush sized to comfortably fit within your mouth.
- The shape of the brush head and the length of the handle should allow you to reach all the way to the back teeth.
- Both manual and electric toothbrushes will do a good job of keeping the teeth clean.
- Replace the toothbrush or the replaceable head every three months or sooner if the bristles appear frayed.
- Always use a fluoride toothpaste with the ADA seal.
Dr. French and our friendly and professional Arlington dentist staff offer a full range of dental care services including periodontal care, cleaning, oral examinations, restorations, and more. We understand that many people do not like going to the dentist, which is why we strive to help you feel comfortable, confident, and relaxed when you come to our office. Call Ted French, D.D.S., today at (817) 461-2843 to schedule an appointment.